"France serves up a mouthwatering menu of life-affirming travel experiences, from the bright lights of Paris to the bucolic charms of the South."
Escorted Tours and Holidays in France
France serves up a mouthwatering menu of life-affirming travel experiences, from the bright lights of Paris to the bucolic charms of the South. The simple joys of great food and fine wine are raised to an art form by the effervescent French, who take an entirely justified pride in the history, culture and landscape of their beautiful country. From the vineyards of Burgundy to the treasures of the Louvre, from the glittering harbours of the Côte d’Azur to the wild and windswept coast of Brittany, there is enough in France to fill a lifetime of travel.
Travel around and you’ll be treated to an ever-changing backdrop of spectacular scenery. Explore the flamingo-filled wetlands of the Camargue, the snowy peaks of the Alps, the forests of Gascony or the lavender fields of Provence. France is a land of contrasts: the sunny promenades of Cannes and Nice fizz with glitz and glamour, while the sleepy villages of the Dordogne and the Loire Valley entice travellers with a rustic taste of la France profonde. France has a wealth of wonderful cities, including foodies’ favourite Lyon, boozy Bordeaux and the German-tinged streets of Strasbourg. And at the nation’s fringes you’ll find distinctive regions with their own languages and traditions, such as the Basque Country, Catalonia and the fiercely independent island of Corsica.
Touring Highlights of France
- Whether it’s your first visit to Paris or your fifty-first, there is just so much to see and do, from the big hitters like the Eiffel Tower and the Mona Lisa to the joys of wandering the streets of Montmartre.
- Bordeaux is undergoing something of a renaissance, with newly spruced up streets and a delightful riverfront promenade. The city is also surrounded by the châteaux and vineyards of world famous wine regions such as Saint-Émilion and Pauillac.
- Lyon sits at the confluence of the Rhône and Saône rivers, and is famed for its fantastic foodie scene. In between meals, make sure you check out the enchanting old town and the recently renovated docklands.
- The French Riviera oozes glamour, from the star-spangled Cannes Film Festival to the yachts bobbing in the harbour at Saint-Tropez.
- Provence is home to some of southern France’s most evocative landscapes, a rural idyll of fragrant lavender fields, olive groves and locals playing pétanque in sleepy village squares.
- The majestic walled city of Carcassonne is one of the most impressive sights in France, an imposing medieval marvel of turrets and battlements that looks like something from a children’s storybook.
- France’s mountains provide some of the country’s most spectacular scenery, from Mont Blanc and the Alps to the thick forests and crystalline lakes of the Jura region.
- The pretty town of Strasbourg typifies the unique Franco-German character of Alsace-Lorraine, a maze of canals and alleyways lined with crooked timber houses.
- Brittany is home to beautifully rugged coastal scenery, the famous walled port of Saint-Malo and the distinctive Breton culture, with its historic links to the Celtic peoples of the British Isles.
- The rugged island of Corsica is a different proposition to mainland France, with a distinctive culture influenced by its proximity to Italy, and a beautiful coastline of sandy beaches and glitzy harbours.