A Russian River Cruise - Moscow to St Petersburg
- What's Included
- Just You
Sail the Volga River from Moscow to St Petersburg, with shore excursions introducing Red Square, the Kremlin, Peterhof Palace and the State Hermitage Museum. Along the way you'll also step ashore in traditional towns where fascinating history is uncovered.
Visit to the Kremlin
Walking tour of Uglich
Tour of the ancient city of Yaroslavl
Discover the tiny settlement of Goritsy
Kizhi island walking tour
Mandrogui village, craft centre & traditional picnic
Panoramic tour of St Petersburg & Peter & Paul Fortress visit
State Hermitage Museum
Peterhof Palace Lower Park
- DAY 1 UK to Moscow
- You'll fly to Moscow today, where on arrival we'll transfer you to your river cruiser. With two nights in Russia's capital, there's plenty of time to explore before we set off on our cruise of the Volga, the longest river in Europe.
Take time to settle into your cabin, then we'll get together for a welcome briefing followed by dinner and an evening of entertainment on board.
- DAY 2 Moscow
- Moscow is an incredible city which features stunning architecture and a fascinating history, and we'll explore today on a tour. We'll head to the city's heart, the iconic Red Square, where so much of Russia's history unfolded and the might of the Soviet military was paraded. We'll be able to admire the striking onion domes of St Basil's Cathedral and see Lenin's Mausoleum, where the former leader of the Soviet Union lies on public display.
We'll stop for lunch in a city centre restaurant before we continue to the Kremlin. Here we'll see the three cathedrals within its walls, the Assumption Cathedral, Archangel Cathedral and Annunciation Cathedral. We'll also have the chance to admire the famous Tsar Bell, the largest bell in the world, weighing almost 202 tons, and hear the fascinating story behind its construction.
During a relaxed evening back on board our river cruiser, we'll enjoy dinner and entertainment.
- DAY 3 Moscow
- During a day at leisure why not head back ashore and explore Moscow further with your travelling companions, or join an optional excursion.
Back on board this evening, we'll gather for the Captain's welcome cocktail reception and dinner as we set sail for Uglich.
- Day 4 Uglich
- The history of Uglich is entwined with the suspicious death of Prince Dmitry. He headed here in an attempt to flee the reign of his father, the notorious Ivan the Terrible, but was found in the square with his throat cut some years later. As we sail towards the town, be sure to make your way up on deck to see the Church of St Dmitry on the Blood, which was built in the prince's memory.
Once ashore we'll see the church again as we head off on a walking tour. Other highlights include the territory of the former Kremlin and the Transfiguration Catherdral.
- DAY 5 Yaroslavl
- We're going to see more of Russia's iconic onion domes in today's port of call, Yaroslavl, believed to be the oldest city on the Volga. We'll step ashore to discover its UNESCO-listed centre and a host of exquisite churches. The Church of Ilya the Prophet is one of the most picturesque with five emerald-green onion domes, and we'll also see the Church of St Nicholas the Wonderworker.
- DAY 6 Goritsy
- Our port of call today is the tiny settlement of Goritsy, perched on the edge of the White Lake and home to just 600 inhabitants. A guided tour will reveal highlights such as its traditional wooden-framed houses and the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery. It is said that the parents of Ivan the Terrible prayed here for an heir before his birth.
There's free time to make your own discoveries too. Look out for the Goritsy Nunnery, founded in 1544 by Princess Efrosiniya, the wife of one of Ivan the Terrible's sons. It was eventually turned into the tsar's personal harem after she was drowned when Ivan suspected her of treason.
- DAY 7 Kizhi
- There's time to enjoy the facilities on board your river cruiser this morning before we arrive at the island of Kizhi. Located on Lake Onega, this UNESCO-listed site is one of the most scenic destinations on the Volga. The island is known for its collection of wooden churches which were transported here for preservation purposes, and have turned it into a fascinating open-air museum. As we explore we'll see its centrepiece, the remarkable Church of the Transfiguration, built completely without the use of nails and boasting 22 onion domes.
- DAY 8 Mandrogui
- Take in the scenery over breakfast as the ship makes its way to the historic village of Mandrogui. Here we'll step ashore to discover delightful homes crafted in gingerbread house-style woodwork. The village also showcases traditional Russian life, and during a visit to a craft centre we'll see demonstrations of wood carving, weaving and pottery. Lunch today is a traditional shashlik picnic.
- DAY 9 St Petersburg
- We arrive this morning at the wonderful city of St Petersburg, Russia's imperial capital which was built from nothing by Peter the Great. A panoramic tour by coach will show us all its highlights including the Exchange, Palace Square and the magnificent Winter Palace.
We'll also see famous sights such as St Isaac's Cathedral, the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood and Nevsky Prospekt, the city's main thoroughfare. Included on our visit today is the famous Peter and Paul Fortress. Originally built to protect the city from attack, it was ultimately used as a garrison and a jail for political prisoners.
After lunch in the city, we're going to visit the world-renowned State Hermitage Museum, one of the largest museums in the world. Founded in 1764, it displays more than 2.7 million items, with a magnificent collection of art housed in the winter palace of Catherine the Great.
With three nights in St Petersburg, we'll fit in plenty more sights, and there's a range of optional excursions to choose from too.
- DAY 10 Peterhof Palace
- The wonderful sights continue today with an included excursion to the Peterhof Palace and gardens. Built in 1703 by Peter the Great to rival the beauty of the Palace of Versailles, a highlight here is the Lower Park. On our walking tour we'll admire the Grand Cascade, which comprises 64 fountains, the Chessboard Hill Cascade, Monplaisir palace and many more of the 150 ornate fountains.
- DAY 11 St Petersburg
- You can spend today just as you wish. Perhaps you'll head ashore once more with your travelling companions to make your own discoveries.
- DAY 12 St Petersburg to UK
- After enjoying breakfast on board, we'll disembark the river cruiser and transfer to the airport for the flight back to the UK.
Return Flights from Heathrow with British Airways
11 Nights full board on the 4* ship MS Lev Tolstoy
32 Meals: 11 breakfasts, 10 lunches, 11 dinners, including a glass of wine, beer or soft drink at dinner
Just You Tour Manager
Specialist Local Guide
Overseas transfers & other transportation
Tea & coffee on board
A full programme of optional shore excursions
You will have the option to book your own flights independently with the operator.
28-Jul-2018 for 11 Nights
Why Just You?
Just You are an award winning singles touring holiday specialist. They provide amazing touring experiences for singles, groups of friends travelling on their own who want single rooms and also those who have to travel independently from their partners, but don’t want to travel alone.
Travelling solo is liberating and with the right ingredients it’s the perfect way to see the world. Just You mix everything together to create the ideal travel experience for independent globe trotters. They think it’s a bit like making a cake. A sprinkle of culture, a good pinch of fun, a dash of freedom and a drop of adventure, with your Tour Manager and fellow travellers providing the icing on top.
They’ve been developing itineraries for single travellers for almost a decade. Every trip is hosted by an experienced Tour Manager, while Local Guides add extra insight. They stick to this formula because they know it works. Their customers score them nearly 100% for their knowledge and tell them they’re second to none – an A* in anyone’s book!
With single rooms at no supplement; a meet and greet at the airport; flights or rail included; overseas transfers and other transportation; many meals, exciting excursions, and the option to join in as much or as little as you like, you can’t ask for more.
Contact our partner
You can contact Just You directly by: