A trip for the brave, delve into the Wild West as you make your away across a rugged land famous for cowboys and rodeo. You'll come face-to-face with some monumental figures, while a day at Deadwood will teach you about the fascinating days of notable figures including Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane. You'll witness the wild charms of Yellowstone National Park after hours as you stay the night in the park's popular lodges, while all-American breakfasts and hearty ranch food will keep you fueled throughout your journey.
- UCross Ranch: Savour a hearty ranch style Highlight Dinner, prepared by your local hosts.
- Custer: Toast to the finale of your trip at your Celebration Dinner served at your lodge within Custer State Park.
- Dining Summary: 8 Breakfasts (B), 1 Dinner (D) and 3 Dinners with wine (DW).
- UCross: Spend your morning doing as the locals do, exploring your surroundings by horseback with a gentle ride (waiver required) led by a Local Expert.
- Deadwood: Historical Wild West figures such as Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane called Deadwood home. Learn about the Gold Rush and the town’s notable residents aboard Kevin Costner’s Original Deadwood Tour with a Local Expert.
- Deadwood: Enjoy an audience with Lakota tribe members as they share a live narrative of the Great Sioux Nation.
Stay at the Best Addresses
- Salt Lake City: Centrally located in Salt Lake City’s business, historic, cultural and entertainment center, Little America’s fine décor and traditional ambience provide the perfect atmosphere for any type of meeting, seminar or special event.
- Grand Teton National Park: Stay right inside the National Park at the desirable Jackson Lake Lodge. One of the largest of all the eco-friendly resorts, with breathtaking views.
- Yellowstone National Park: Insight stays centrally located within the National Park. In these cases, the hotels are much more rustic and typical of the natural environment.
- UCross: Enjoy a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere during your stay at the Ranch at UCross with the natural scenic beauty of the surroundings.
- Spearfish: Deep in the heart of beautiful canyons you will find Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Built and decorated in the style of the old lodges of the West.
- Custer State Park: Insight stays centrally located within the State Park. In these cases, the hotels are much more rustic and typical of the natural environment.
Top Rated Highlights
- Grand Teton National Park: Take in panoramic views of the beautiful Jenny Lake, a glacial formation that dates back over 10,000 years.
- Yellowstone: See Upper Geyser Basin, which boasts the highest concentration of spouting geysers, hot springs and steaming fumaroles in the world.
- Cody: Explore the award-winning Buffalo Bill Center of the West, known for its excellent Western art collection and natural history.
- Black Hills: Witness the huge Crazy Horse Memorial and the famous Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
- Small Group
- Western USA
Day 1 Arrive in Salt Lake City.
Welcome to Utah's capital, Salt Lake City. On arrival at Salt Lake City International Airport, board your transfer to your hotel. Lying between Wasatch Range and the Great Salt Lake, this mountainous city is perfect for outdoorsy types, with a strong focus on skiing and fishing. It is also the headquarters of the Mormon faith. At 18:00, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Dinner with wine, where you will meet your fellow guests and prepare for your journey ahead.(Dinner with Wine)
Meals: Dinner with Wine
Day 2 Jackson and Grand Teton National Park.
As you move on from Salt Lake City, take in iconic Temple Square and the State Capitol building, before heading north across the Oregon Trail to historic Jackson. Have your cameras ready for the famous elk antlers that adorn the central square, and for eager shoppers there are a number of charming traditional boutiques to browse. In the evening, relax at Jackson Lake Lodge, where you'll be presented with the stunning peaks of Grand Teton National Park. Staying in the park itself, you’ll have the opportunity to explore the grounds after hours.(Breakfast)
Day 3 Yellowstone National Park.
Wake up to a mountainous view like no other and witness the striking Grand Tetons thrust skyward 6,562 feet (2,000 metres) from the valley floor. In keeping with today’s rustic country charm, you’ll enter Yellowstone, the world’s first National Park. Known for its unique geothermal activity, spectacular landscapes and abundant wildlife, you’ll experience Wyoming in all its glory. Keep an eye out for black bears or wolves. Tonight you’ll stay in the National Park Lodges, allowing you to experience the park after hours, in its natural glory.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Day 4 Geysers and Colourful Mudpots at Yellowstone.
Savour the surreal surroundings of Yellowstone with a relaxed start. Walk among the rainbow tinted hot springs and watch the erupting geysers as you take in the history of the park on an informative stroll with your Travel Director. Catch the renowned colourful bubbling mud pots and observe Old Faithful geyser shooting water over 120 feet (37 metres) into the air. You’ll behold the powerful roar of Lower Yellowstone Falls, before heading back to your Park Lodge rooms. The National Park is also famous for its wildlife, so keep an eye out for the Yellowstone ram, wolves, bears and elk.(Breakfast)
Day 5 The Ranch at Ucross.
Set off on your travels through the stark Shoshone Canyon and Absaroka Rocky Mountains to the Wild West Town of Cody. Learn more about America's great Western legends at the Buffalo Bill Centre, known for its Western art collection, firearms and natural history. End the day in Clearmont, Wyoming where you'll check in to your abode for the night. Here you'll enjoy an All-American ranch style Highlight Dinner with wine.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Day 6 Devils Tower into the Black Hills.
Live the American frontier dream and begin your day with a scenic country horseback ride (8). If playing cowboy isn’t your thing, perhaps go fishing or merely relax and take in your beautiful surroundings, the choice is yours. Make your way to Devils Tower, an astounding geological feature that protrudes out of the surrounding the Black Hills. This symbolic landmark is considered sacred to the Lakota and other tribes. Experience Spearfish Canyon, a favoured spot among wildlife enthusiasts and one famous for its elvish woodland beauty. The limestone palisades of this creek-carved gorge are more ancient than the Grand Canyon.(Breakfast)
Day 7 Custer and the Wild, Wild West.
A day for those looking to explore the wild west, try to spot pronghorn antelope as you cross the great high plains to the Black Hills of South Dakota. Once in Deadwood, you'll also get to speak to members of the Lakota tribe as they share a fascinating live narrative of the Great Sioux Nation. You'll have the opportunity to join Kevin Costner's Original Deadwood Tour, while a Local Expert will talk about the days of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, who made this once lawless town famous during the Gold Rush of the 1870s. Continue on to Custer State Park, renowned for its beautiful landscape and abundant wildlife.(Breakfast)
Day 8 The Mountain Monuments of the Black Hills of South Dakota.
What better way to spend your last full day than delving further into the history of this fascinating country? The heart of the Black Hills offers spectacular representations of the nation’s past. You'll start by viewing Crazy Horse Memorial, which is dedicated to all Native Americans. An exclusive Insight Experience awaits as you are taken up to the 641 feet (195 metres) long and 563 feet (172 metres) tall sculpture to stand face to face with the world’s largest mountain carving. Afterwards, travel to iconic Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Here, carvings of Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt overlook the landscape. The rest of the day is yours to explore in Custer State Park. Join your Travel Director and newfound friends for a Celebration Dinner with wine, as you reflect on your adventure across the wide-open spaces of America's national parks.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Day 9 Depart Denver.
Travel south from Custer State Park where your trip ends on arrival in Denver. A transfer is available to Denver International Airport. Airport arrival in Denver will be at 16:30.(Breakfast)
Touring with Insight Vacations
With Insight Vacations, you travel in style in smaller groups with every detail taken care of by a highly skilled Travel Director. You will enjoy Insight Experiences that truly engage you with local people, stay in hotels that are in the heart of the action and dine in authentic local restaurants. As you travel through Europe, USA and Canada you'll connect with like-minded people and fulfil your travel dreams.They include an array of modes of transportation, such as a ferry, cruise, train or aboard their luxury coaches where you’ll enjoy the best possible views along with personal air conditioning, double the legroom of a standard coach and complimentary Wi-Fi.
They want your experience to be hassle-free, so when you book your Insight Vacations holiday they will provide you with a complimentary door-to-door transfer service in a chauffeur-driven car from your home to your departure airport.*
As a proud member of The Travel Corporation (TTC), Insight Vacations is driven by service and passionately run and owned by a family involved in travel and hospitality for 100 years.
Partnering with the Treadright Foundation helping to ensure that the environment and communities they visit remain vibrant for generations to come.
*Applies to distances of up to 150 miles