Travelling from Amman to Luxor, discover the ancient wonders of Petra, the Pyramids and the Valley of the Kings. Camp out in the Wadi Rum desert, float in the Dead Sea and barter in Cairo's bustling bazaars on this two week tour that takes in the best of Jordan and Egypt.
- Petra - explore this spectacular UNESCO-listed Nabataean city, one of the New7Wonders of the World
- Wadi Rum - explore this vast red desert with its rolling dunes and dramatic rock formations in a 4x4 and camp under a blanket of stars
- Dead Sea - bob around like a cork in the famously buoyant mineral-rich waters and smother yourself in Dead Sea mud
- Mt Nebo - take in the incredible panoramic views across the Promised Land
- Karak - roam around this imposing Crusader castle, perched dramatically on a hill top
- Amman - visit the ancient hilltop citadel, the fascinating Archaeological Museum and the bustling souqs
- Madaba - wander around this Christian market town, home to Jordan’s finest Byzantine mosaics
- Cairo - marvel at the legendary Pyramids of Giza, explore the Necropolis of Saqqara and see King Tut's treasures at the Egyptian Museum
- Aswan - visit romantic Philae Temple and sail to Elephantine Island onboard a traditional felucca
- Kom Ombo - visit the Nile side Temple of Kom Ombo
- Luxor - experience the beautifully illuminated Luxor Temple at night (optional) and roam around the colossal Temple of Karnak
- Luxor's West Bank - discover exquisite tombs in the Valley of the Kings, the towering Colossi of Memnon and the beautiful Temple of Queen Hatshepsut
18 years or 16 years with an accompanying adult
Day 1: Amman
Welcome to Jordan! You’ll be met at Queen Alia International Airport and transferred to our hotel in Amman. Welcome meeting at 6pm to meet your guide and the rest of your group.
Day 2: Amman
Spend today exploring the city of Amman at your leisure. Alternatively, join our optional excursion to Jerash, home to spectacular 2,000-year-old ruins, and the 12th century Ajloun Castle which commands stunning views of the Jordan Valley.
Day 3: Amman City tour & Karak Castle
This morning we take a guided tour of Amman, highlights include the Citadel and the National Archaeological Museum. We then visit the magnificent Crusader Castle of Karak and marvel at its crumbling remains as we travel south to Petra.
Day 4: Petra
One of the New Seven Wonders, Petra... we spend the whole today exploring this extensive remarkable site, including the famous Treasury.
Day 5: Wadi Rum
Morning at leisure, or opt to revisit Petra. After lunch we head to Wadi Rum and enjoy an exhilarating 4x4 ride through the desert to our camp for the evening. Tonight we stay at our camp, sit around the fire and take in the starry night sky.
Day 6: Dead Sea
Opt to rise early to catch a spectacular sunrise, before we depart north to Dead Sea where we can bob in the buoyant waters. A stop will also be made at Mount Nebo, which offers panoramic views before we reach our final destination, Madaba. Ancient Madaba is famed for its stunning Byzantine-era mosaics.
Day 7: Cairo
Today we bid farewell to Jordan and make our way to Cairo. Included transfers and flight to Cairo. Upon arrival we will be meet and transferred to our hotel in Cairo.
Day 8: Pyramids of Giza
We begin today sightseeing at the Pyramids of Giza, one of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World! We then head to the lion headed Sphinx and Saqqara to see Zhoser’s step pyramid. Our final stop today is the Khan el-Khalili bazaar, enjoy a local coffee and shop up a storm.
Day 9: Luxor
We spend this morning exploring the famous Egyptian Museum, which contains one of the world’s most important collections of ancient artefacts. Amongst the fascinating Egyptian relics, we see the treasures of King Tutankhamun, including his famous solid gold funerary mask. We then board our coach this afternoon for the 9 hour journey south to Luxor.
Day 10: Luxor
Get excited! Early this morning we head to the West Bank, where we'll discover the Colossi of Memnon, the epic Valley of the Kings and the colonnaded Temple of Hatshepsut. After lunch we drive south to Aswan.
Day 11: Abu Simbel
Today we have the option of an excursion to the temple of Abu Simbel, where four giant statues of King Ramses II look out across Lake Nasser. We then take a short boat ride out to Agilika Island for a guided tour of the beautiful Philae Temple. Upon returning to Aswan we visit a perfume oil emporium. The rest of the day is free to either go shopping in Aswan’s colourful souks or relax by the hotel pool, followed by watching a beautiful sunset over the Nile.
Day 12: Felucca Cruise
Today we board an Egyptian felucca for a relaxed sailing trip along the River Nile. These traditional boats have plied the Nile since ancient times and, alongside watching life on the riverbanks, we stop to explore Elephantine Island. The Island is so-named as its rocks form the shape of an elephant’s back. Here we explore a colourful Nubian Village and you can opt to see an ancient Nilometer, which measures the depth of this great river. Remainder of the day at your leisure.
Day 13: Luxor
We say goodbye to Aswan and journey back to Luxor. En route we stop to visit the remarkable riverside temple of Kom Ombo, built to honour the crocodile-headed god Sobek. This evening we have an optional excursion to Luxor Temple, which is at its most spectacular after dark when it’s lit up with hundreds of lights.
Day 14: Luxor
The final stop of our Egyptian adventure is the 4,000 year old Temple of Karnak. Following our guided tour we will be transferred to Luxor Airport to meet our onward flight (please book a flight departing after 2pm). Luxor has so much on offer, why not add a few days and explore more of this ancient city.
- Breakfast daily and 1 dinner
- 5 nights 3 star hotels in Jordan and 7 nights 3-4 star hotels in Egypt
- 1 night Wadi Rum Desert Camp
- Economy flight: Amman to Cairo
- Touring - Amman, Petra, Karak, Wadi Rum, Dead Sea, Mt Nebo, Cairo, Giza, Saqqara, Luxor, Aswan and Kom Ombo
- 4x4 desert safari across the sand dunes of Wadi Rum
- Felucca excursion to Elephantine Island
- Excursion to the Dead Sea
- Escorted by a licensed Jordanian tour guide and an Egyptian tour guide degree qualified in Egyptology
- English speaking specialist guides at some local sights
- Airport arrival and departure transfers on day 1, day 7 and day 14
- All transfers and transportation in private modern air-conditioned vehicles
- Average group size: 16 persons
NB - the following are not included:
-International flights and visas (see Trip Notes for further information about visas)
-Tip for your tour guides in Jordan and Egypt. We recommend you allow USD$5 - 7 per day, per traveller. Tipping your tour guides is an entirely personal gesture
-Entrance Fees: USD$220-240pp, paid in local currency
-Local payment - GBP£150pp (or USD equivalent)
Touring with On The Go Tours
From a first foray into Egypt in 1998, On The Go Tours have expanded their operations to more than 60 countries, offering award-winning small group tours to destinations around the world. Their Middle East and North Africa portfolio now includes Jordan, Israel and Morocco, whilst other regions include Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Indian Subcontinent. From Machu Picchu in Peru to the extravagant Taj Mahal in India, On The Go Tours get you to the main sights of whichever destination you choose to visit. There’s also a range of special festival tours, Christmas and New Year adventures and much more, from overland adventures to luxury cruises. They always uncover some hidden gems too, be it canoeing to a local home for lunch in Sri Lanka or riding a rickshaw around the maze of Hutongs in Beijing, China.
With three different ranges of trips to choose from, there’s sure to be something for everyone. Signature tours are everything that makes On The Go Tours special, with local tour guides, small groups and a great quality of accommodation. Essentials tours keep the costs down whilst still delivering true adventure, with a mixture of public transport in Japan and overland trucks in Central Asia, Africa and Latin America. Whilst on their Handpicked tours, On The Go Tours work with local partners to deliver authentic experiences in amazing destinations, from Iceland to the Galapagos archipelago.
Sustainability and environmental awareness are also at the heart of On The Go Tours’ operations. Whether it’s planting trees in Cambodia, donating stationary to a school in India or funding the conservation of endangered Bengal tigers, protecting the regions they visit is at the forefront of the way they do business. Signature tours with On The Go Tours also make use of locally-run hotels and eateries wherever possible, and tour guides are mostly English-speaking locals. Overall, around 70% of travellers holiday funds remain in the destination visited.